- Beastly Garden of Wordy Delights
- OK, so you know it is a 'herd' of buffalo, but what is the collective noun for bats? Jellyfish? Toads? You'll find the
answers here, along with other fascinating information about nouns and adjectives and a smattering of humor.
- Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable
- Over 18,000 entries with etymologies, word and phrase origins and other "words with a tale to tell."
- Classics Technology Center: Global Glossary
- Authoritative, scholarly, reliable information on words of Greco-Roman origin. Constantly checked for accuracy and currency.
May not work on all servers.
- English-to-American Dictionary
- Collection of words in British English that are likely to confuse Americans. Includes slang and colloquialisms.
- Etymologically Speaking
- Curious word origins from English, French and German.
- Online Etymology Dictionary
- Origins of the English language; online search for word origins from a variety of sources.
- Origins of Phrases
- Origins of common English phrases.
- Phrase Finder
- Meanings and origins of over 1200 English sayings, phrases and idioms, and a large searchable archive.
- Take Our Word For It
- A weekly word-origin webzine. Questions and answers on word origins.
- Word Play
- Extensive collection of links to sites that feature word play; good place to browse and generate ideas.
- Word Wizard
- Word and phrase origins, quotations, articles on language quirks, even a list of invigorating insults.
- Short articles on the origins of words and phrases in English, with emphasis on debunking linguistic myths. Includes research
tools and a discussion group.
- Words and Stuff
- Over 150 articles on words and wordplay.
- World Wide Words
- Word histories and curiosities galore, incredible depth of information on the definition and origins of words and phrases
from all over the world, present and past, with reviews of various online dictionaries. Available: a weekly newsletter.