- American Heritage Book of English Usage
- "Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English" with a detailed look at grammar, style, diction, word formation,
gender, social groups and scientific forms. Valuable reference for students, writers, academicians and anybody concerned about
proper writing style. Part of Bartleby.com .
- The American Language: An Inquiry into the Development of English in the United States, 2nd ed.
- H.L. Mencken's 1921 classic discusses the differences between British and American English and defines the distinguishing
characteristics of US English. Part of Bartleby.com.
- The Book of Clichés
- "Phrases to say in times of trouble," arranged by category. One of the classic cliché-sites, winner of numerous awards.
- Cliché Finder
- Searchable index of more than 3,300 clichés. You might like to visit a companion site, Smugopedia, "a collection of slightly controversial opinions about a variety of subjects."
- Common Errors in English
- Identifies costly mistakes in writing and speaking English, as judged by professional writers, editors, teachers. Alphabetically
arranged with handy index. Part of a larger site containing other language-related info, Home Page of Paul Brians.
- The Elements of Style
- William Strunk, Jr. called this his "little book" on the principles of English style and grammar. The Elements of Style
has become an American classic. Part of Bartleby.com.
- Grammar and Usage for the Non-Expert
- A range of articles intended to solve common problems of grammar and usage for those who want answers but don't want a
lot of technical explanations.
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
- Contains scores of digital handouts on grammar and English usage, from word choice through the building of larger units,
computer-graded quizzes, powerpoint presentations and much more, covering seemingly every aspects of the subject.
- Hypertext Guide to English Grammar, Mechanics, and Usage Rules
- Exactly what it says. Part of a comprehensive Virginia Tech program.
- The King's English, 2nd ed.
- H.W. Fowler's 1908 work with commonsense rules of style and grammar remains a standard resource for generations of students
and writers. Still another part of Bartleby.com.
- Extensive free online reference guides to English Grammar, Practical English usage, vocabulary, English writing and speaking.
Includes interactive grammar and vocabulary exercises.
- The Vocabula Review
- Journal about "the devolution of language." Discourages nonstandard, careless English and encourages clear, expressive
English. Large collection of essays, hints and tips.